How Landed Works

The Process


Your dream home cost: $800,000

(Your dream home may cost much more or less than this depending on your region.)


You need a $160,000 down payment

But that seems nearly impossible!


You can partner with Landed to get up to $80,000 today

Remember, there are no monthly payments on this money.


We help you find your dream home and contribute to the down payment.

You put in $80,000, Landed puts in $80,000 and the bank provides a $640,000 loan.


Your dream home becomes your real home.

You pay the costs of ownership but don’t make any monthly payments to Landed.

Some time passes, while you live happily in your home

Landed makes its return on investment when you sell or buy out the investment

For giving you half of your down payment, you'll share 25% of the investment gain or loss with Landed.


If your home goes up in value,
 both you and Landed win

Sale Price $900000
Gain +$100000
Landed’s share of gain +$25000
Landed’s down payment $80000
Landed Keeps $105000
Your share of gain +$75000
Your down payment $80000
Mortgage principal paid down $136000
You Keep $291000

If your home goes down in value,
 both you and Landed lose

Sale Price $700000
Loss -$100000
Landed’s share of Loss -$25000
Landed’s down payment $80000
Landed Keeps $55000
Your share of loss -$75000
Your down payment $80000
Mortgage principal paid down $136000
You Keep $141000

These are estimates only. Contact us for more information.
“Mortgage principal paid down” is based on staying in your home for 10 years. You can learn more about your mortgage here.

Frequently Asked Questions

When do I pay Landed back?

You can end your partnership with Landed anytime during your agreement. You can do this by selling your home or buying out Landed.

When you purchase a home with Landed down payment support, you do not make any monthly payments. In fact, you do not pay anything until you exit the agreement. Instead, you enter into a partnership that lasts 10 or 30 years, depending on the program.

You pay Landed back when you exit the partnership – you can do this at any point during the term of your partnership, or at the end. The choice is 100% yours.

Do I have to be a first-time homebuyer?

No, you do not need to be a first-time homebuyer! The goal of our program is to be as flexible as possible and help you build financial security. It's okay if you have owned a home in the past or currently own a home.

When you purchase a home with the Landed program, it needs to be your primary residence (a.k.a. the home that you live in) for at least one year.

How do I know if I'm qualified to work with Landed?

To qualify for Landed, a homebuyer must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be an employee of a participating institution, who has worked there for at least two years. It is okay if you are purchasing your home with a family member or partner who does not work at a participating institution.
  • You must qualify for a mortgage with one of Landed's participating lenders. Currently, Landed's participating lenders require that homebuyers contribute at least 10% towards the purchase of the home. This can include family gifts.

Buying with Landed has a few requirements:

  • The home must be used as a primary residence for at least the first year.
  • The home must be located within an eligible area. This typically includes the county where you work as well as surrounding counties.
  • You must agree to stay with your current employer for at least the next two years. If you choose to leave voluntarily, you may be required to pay back the funds even if you weren’t planning on selling the home.
What is the minimum down payment required? How much can I receive from Landed?

Currently, you need to contribute a down payment of at least 10% of the home's cost. We know this is a high hurdle and are actively looking to provide homebuyers with more lending options.

Landed's participating lenders currently require homebuyers bring a minimum of 10% of the home’s cost as a down payment. This requirement may become more flexible in the future, especially in expensive markets. This money can include gift money from your family. Landed will match that 10%, bringing the total down payment to 20%.

Read More FAQ!