Check out this guide for tips on what to ask your mortgage lender!
Talking to Your Mortgage Lender
Buying a home is one of the biggest purchases we make in our lifetimes. Most of us don’t pay all cash upfront. Instead, we put some cash upfront (the down payment) and take out a special type of loan called a mortgage to make the purchase possible.
When you go through the mortgage pre-approval process, you complete an application that asks you about the price of the home you would like to purchase.
This is called a pre-approval, and the lender will finalize your loan amount during the closing period. No matter where you are in the process, consider asking your loan officer some of the questions below.
Questions to ask your loan officer:
- What are the different types of mortgages you offer?
- For someone in my scenario, what are the best options?
- How can I increase my mortgage pre-approval?
- How does my mortgage pre-approval impact my purchase price?
- What if the appraised value is less than the sales price?
- What are closing costs?
- Do you offer lender credits and/or incentives for working with you?
- Will I be penalized for making a payment exceeding the monthly mortgage amount?
There’s no such thing as a silly question when it comes to your finances. The most important thing is that you feel fully informed and confident in the mortgage that you get.
Should I shop around?
One thing to keep in mind: applying for a mortgage pre-approval does typically impact your credit. If you are interested in applying for multiple mortgage pre-approvals, consider doing so in a short window of time, as it may mitigate the impact on your credit. We recommend discussing your financial situation with each lending institution before completing the formal pre-approval process.